The roof is perhaps the most important part of your home – it shields you from the rain, heat, wind and other forces, yet most homeowners know little about this system. There are several misconceptions about Tampa roofing that can negatively affect the way we care for our roofs and may cause serious problems later on. Here are five common roofing myths to watch out for.
1. A metal roof will attract lightning.
– Metal is a good conductor of electricity but it cannot draw in lightning by itself. In fact, a quality metal roofing system can protect you better because it is sturdy and noncombustible.
2. Gutters have nothing to do with the roofing system.
– A roofing system works to keep rainwater away from the rest of the house, and gutters are involved in the final step of that process. Gutters catch water and direct it into a downspout so that it flows away from the house and cannot cause structural damage.
3. It’s okay to install a new roof without removing the old one first.
– Some roofers and homeowners justify doing this by saying it can save time and money, but it can actually give you a bigger headache in the long run. You won’t be able to see the full extent of the damage to an old roof unless you remove it completely. Your current shingles may look fine but can be covering up rotted decking underneath.
4. Flashing doesn’t need to be replaced.
– Your flashing may be made of metal, but it isn’t indestructible. It can come loose, get cracked or rust. Faulty flashing is one of the main causes of leaks and can ruin an otherwise sound roofing system. We suggest flashing be inspected for damage at least twice a year.
5. Light-colored shingles last longer than darker-colored ones.
– There’s a misconception that dark-colored shingles aren’t as durable as their lighter counterparts. That’s not true.
As long as your roof rests on a properly ventilated attic, it won’t matter what color shingles you put on top.
As your expert Tampa roofer, Arry’s Roofing Services provides a wide range of high-quality roofing services, including repair, maintenance and installation for both residential and commercial roofs. Give us a call at (727) 938-9565 for more information and a free estimate.