Well-maintained gutters are essential in the proper functioning of your roofing system and the overall structural health of your home. Gutters are responsible for collecting rainwater and channeling it to the ground. If your gutters are healthy and are working properly, they can prevent roof leaks and other water damage to your home. They can effectively keep water from seeping into both the interior and exterior parts of your house. This, in turn, would help spare you from dealing with costly roof repair in Tampa, FL in the future.
Steps to Keep Your Gutters Healthy
Common gutter problems can be fixed. Here are the steps to cleaning gutters and what you should do if you encounter simple gutter troubles.
- Look for signs of corrosion, holes, cracks, leaking joints, or any loose, missing or bent gutter hangers. Assess the problem. Mark where these signs are, so you can get back to them easily.
- Remove dirt and debris that have collected in the gutters. You can use a handheld blower or wet/dry vacuum for loose debris. For compacted debris, use a gutter scoop or a small shovel. Place a bucket on your ladder where you can put the debris collected from the gutters.
- Rinse out the gutters using a garden hose or a pressure washer. Here, you will be able to check them for holes and leaks.
- De-clog the downspout. The downspout is the pipe connected to the gutter that flushes collected rainwater down to the ground. Clogs can happen at the connection between the downspout and the gutter. If the blockage is out of reach, de-clog from the bottom up. Run a garden hose through the downspout. Then, turn the faucet all the way up and use high water pressure to break down clog.
- Patch small holes, leaks, and tears. Remove any rust or peeling paint. Cover the area with gutter repair cement using a patching kit.
- Adjust pitch. Check if the gutter drains properly. Pour water and observe if it flows through the downspout. If it does not leave pools of water in the gutter, then it is set properly.
- After inspection, you will be able to determine if part of or your entire gutter system needs replacement.
- Install covers or screens. After your gutters have been cleaned and repaired, put in a gutter screen to keep leaves or debris from filling them up.
- Stay safe. Before cleaning or fixing your gutters, it is essential to ensure your safety. Wear protective gear like gloves to protect your hands from sharp objects. Also, secure the ladder that you are going to use to avoid falling.
- Get help. Not all homeowners have the time and capability to properly maintain, repair, or replace their gutter system. Therefore, it is best to get a professional Tampa roofing contractor to provide you with complete gutter service.
Where to Get Help
For the inspection, adjustment, replacement, or installation of gutters, cover systems, and downspouts, Arry’s Roofing can provide you with complete gutter services. With our help, you will get all the benefits of having a properly installed and well-maintained gutter system. Our gutters are durable, safe, and professionally designed. You will be assured of the quality of our products and services and get the best value for your money. Call us now at (727) 938-9565.