Your roofing system includes a lot more than the shingles you can see from the street. A roof is a complex system with many components that all work together to protect your home from the elements, regulate your energy efficiency, and boost your curb appeal.
As a homeowner, having a basic understanding of how your roof is built is important because it lets you make more informed decisions about maintenance, repairs, and replacement. In today’s post, Arry’s roofing breaks it down for you:
- Underlayment: The underlayment of the roof protects the underlying plywood deck against wind-driven rain and the water that penetrates through the main materials. It also allows moisture to escape from your attic, preventing condensation. The underlayment usually acts as a waterproofing membrane, a vapor barrier, and a sweat sheet all in one. In shingle roofs, it helps the shingles lay flatter for a more uniform look.
- Flashing: The flashing is any piece of metal used to seal the roof’s most vulnerable areas. It helps divert the rain away from places where it could collect, such as valleys or penetrations. In terms of leak prevention, the flashing is indispensable.
- Shingles, Tiles, or Panels: Any of these pieces make up the outer surface of the roof—i.e., the part you can actually see. They matter because they serve as your roofing system’s first layer of defense against the elements. Plus, they add curb appeal and round out the look of your exterior.
- Starter Strips: In shingle roofs, starter strips waterproof the eaves and rake edges of your roof and help reduce the risk of blow-offs. Without them, the place where the shingles butt up against each other would be highly susceptible to water infiltration and damage.
- Ridge Cap Shingles: These specialized shingles cover the highest-stress areas of the roof. Their thickness and dimensionality make them the superior alternative to pre-cut starter strips as hip and ridge caps.
- Gutters: Gutters and downspouts must be present in all roofing systems. They make up the roof’s drainage system, channeling the rain that falls onto your home safely to the ground.
Let Arry’s Roofing help you equip your roof with all the necessary components. We specialize in asphalt shingle, metal, clay, concrete, rubber tile, and flat roofing solutions for residential and commercial properties. We have proven expertise in attic insulation, skylight, and gutter installations too. Contact us today at (727) 938-9565 to schedule your FREE roof inspection and estimate in St. Petersburg, Clearwater, or Dunedin, FL.